One of the most important factors in maintaining bone health and preventing osteoporosis is what we eat. Fortifying our diets with nutrients like calcium, fibre, and Omega-3 fatty acids can go a long way to ensure our bones stay strong as we age while reducing the risk of fractures.
On the Osteoporosis and Bone Health episode of theZoomer, nutritionist Nadine Khoury of Nad Nutrition teaches our audience how to incorporate nutrient-rich foods into our diet with her quick, easy and delicious Overnight Oats recipe.
Nadine’s Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- ¼ cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup milk of choice (cow, almond, cashew, coconut etc.)
- ½ cup plain 0-2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sweetener to taste or optional (honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- Place all ingredients except blueberries, almonds and goji berries into a large glass container or Mason jar and mix until combined.
- Cover the glass container with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Blueberries, almonds and goji berries can be added the night before or immediately before serving.
- Uncover and enjoy from the glass container the next day. Thin with a little more milk or water, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories 381, Total Fat 12g, Saturated Fat 2.4g, Total Carbohydrates 46.7g, Dietary Fibre 9.5g, Total Sugars 22.7g, Protein 22.8g, Calcium 374mg (29%Daily Value), Iron 7mg (38% Daily Value)